The night before I left to go to Houston for Market/Festival, I had to make a new skirt! I am sure that you understand . . . even though I was planning on getting up at 4:30am and it was already past 7:00pm . . . .
My plan was to make another one of the "Coastal Skirts" in the NEW Smoke ruffle fabric that had just come in. We even had received this awesome wide, but very soft and stretchy, waistband elastic! I asked one of my helpers to cut me off a couple of yards. Unfortunately, when I laid it out on my table at home, it was slightly less than 2 yards. Hmmm . . . . yeah, hmmm, it right. When I measured my waist and divided by 2 and measured the length that I wanted the front to be, it was going to be right at my knee. Oh, dear! This is not the look that I was after. So, "Necessity is the mother of invention" or rather, my favorite: this was going to be design opportunity!
So, I studied it and studied it. I did not want to drive back to the shop that evening and cut more fabric. It needed to be in one single cut and I was not going to waist any fabric! So, I thought, there must be a way. I finally decided that if I cut the waist opening on the diagonal; rather than leave an opening in the selvedge. This was going to work much like cutting off the tip of an ice cream cone. Then I would have the overall length that was totally necessary to be able to wear with my black books. I decided to be brave and go for it. I had no idea if it was going to work or hang right until I put it on; hence I needed to complete the project to determine its success.
Send me a picture of your skirt!