Wednesday, June 2, 2010

"School's out for the summer!" ~ time to play!


        












 I believe that our little shop is finally back in order! Post Martha's Sewing Market is always like a disaster zone. You could hardly walk with all of the boxes stacked up awaiting the tedious inventory and subsequent unpacking . . . And the 120+ bolts of new fabrics strewn about! But, all of the Sew It Up sisters have worked diligently to get everything back in order and displayed beautifully! Wouldn't you agree? 

                Martha's Sewing Market was once again a fabulous show for Sew It Up! Our booth was "mobbed" on Thursday. All of my classes on Thursday and Friday were "standing room only" as well. It did slow down appreciably on Saturday as did all of us. It takes immeasurable stamina to get ready for a show of this genre and to manage our  four booths. We are always grateful for our wonderful "fabric volunteers" who help out every year. This was the first year that my daughter, Anna, was not here to run the register :( This was our twelfth year to exhibit for Martha. For those of you who have watched her grow up and were wondering where she was this year, well, who am I to brag! Just Mom! She is working on her dissertation for her Master's of Art History at the University of Bristol in Great Britain. She'll be coming home in August, but only briefly. She has been accepted into a Phd program in the fall at the University of Virginia. Ah, another chapter.


        













Getting back to the classes at Martha's Sewing Market, I taught three different classes; Creative Designing with Texture Magic, 20 Tips to Improve your Fashion Sewing and Secrets of Successful Design. I am currently working on a mini lesson on using Texture Magic. I will be posting it here on my blog very soon. The class that I taught for Martha this year that was the most fun was the pre-day Sit 'n Sew: Boutique Chic. I loved being able to share with so many talented seamstresses! After a lesson on how to  use  a variety of fabrics, prints and trims all in one garment, I then I taught shirring ~ how to fill your bobbin, set your tension correctly and shir! The last technique covered was  how to make super easy & fast ruffles. For many this was the first time that they had ever made a beautiful rolled hem. What a rush!



And, lastly, here is a picture of the final product being modeled by Lindsey. Her loving mother made her the dress especially for her Kindergarden graduation! Isn't she beautiful!




          So, now that the show is behind us, what is next?
                                      VACATION! 
I am leaving tomorrow for Houston to visit my Mom for four days. I'll be home for just a couple of days and then its a trip across the pond to see my sweet Anna! I can't wait to hug her!!! When I return, I'll take a few days to catch up at the shop and then its off to Colorado with my husband and son for three weeks! Yippee!!! But, not to fear, I will still be creating. In fact I never quit. I am already designing for the fall/winter kits. And, . . .  I am working on my own pattern line!


1 comment:

  1. What is the pattern for the dress on the far right? Absolutely love it!

    ReplyDelete